The Belmore Court and Motel has achieved Gold status from Green Tourism, a body recognised by the
UK and regional
governments as being a crucial part of its drive towards sustainability.
Those who achieve Gold Status are classed as being 'Inspirational/Outstanding'. Establishments achieving Gold are cited by Green Tourism as achieving the highest standards of sustainability with a "strong and broad ethos and excellent examples throughout." Businesses who achieve this will employ the latest technologies, from LED lighting to efficient boilers and renewable technologies. The business will have an efficient control over their resource use and will demonstrate effective monitoring with targets set for savings. They believe "Green procurement will include sustainable meat/fish sources, a range of ethical products and working with local suppliers to provide fresh, local and even organic items." Green Tourism feel that changes implemented should lead to significant benefits to the business, community and supply chain.
Belmore Court and Motel have undertaken several actions to fulfil their commitment to sustainability. These include:
· Complying with requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice.
· Continuously seeking to improve environmental and social performance.
· To reduce pollution, emissions and waste.
· To reduce the use of energy, water and other resources.
· To raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in sustainable business practice.
· We expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors.
· Assisting customers to use products and services in an environmentally sensitive way.
· Liaising with the local community.
· Minimising our risks associated with social and environmental issues.
· Joining the Green Tourism Business scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.
· Responsible visitor charters have been placed in every room, with seven steps indicating how guests can help reduce their impact on the environment whilst staying at the Belmore Court and Motel.
· Practical steps taken include recycling, minimising paper use, choosing phosphate free cleaning products, using local suppliers where possible, water conservation, sensible lighting and fuel use, no PCs or TVs left on standby.
· Creating an updated charge point for electric vehicles in the
and Motel's car park.
· Working with suppliers to minimise packaging.
· Introducing more fair trade products.
· Promoting cycle hire from Lakeland Bikes for £25 per day.
The Belmore Court and Motel is one of eighteen establishments offering a Green Tourism experience in
and one of only three to achieve Gold status!